My parents and my grandparents made a great number of sacrifices in order to provide my sister and me with a better quality of life. I’m determined to fulfill the fundamental promise our country made to every senior: the chance to live in dignity and to retire without fear of poverty or abuse.
Social Security and Medicare have proven to be two of our nation’s most effective programs, enabling millions of seniors to escape poverty. As Colorado’s next senator, I will fight to sustain Social Security and protect it from privatization. I will pursue common-sense solutions to strengthen Medicare. We should allow the Department of Health and Human Services, for example, to negotiate lower prices for prescription drugs.
I will continue the work I began in the Colorado House: helping seniors get the home- and community-based care they need to live longer, healthier and more independent lives. As a state legislator, I supported measures to:
- Shield seniors from abuse and neglect.
- Improve conditions in Colorado’s nursing homes.
- Enhance services for those affected by Alzheimer’s.
- Train more nurses and other health-care providers to treat senior patients.
- Help family members care for elderly relatives.
- Provide housing assistance to low-income elderly and disabled Coloradans.